Frequently Asked Questions


What is a graduate Certificate?

Here is a good online article that describes what a graduate certificate is. http://www.geteducated.com/career-center/detail/what-is-a-graduate-certificate-or-diploma 

Is the University Accredited?

Yes, EC-Council University is accredited by Distance Education Accrediting Commission.

DEAC is a private, non-profit organization that operates as a national accreditor of distance education institutions. Accreditation by DEAC covers all distance education activities within an institution and it provides a single source of nationally recognized accreditation. DEAC is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency as well as an acknowledged member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). 

How long does it take to complete the program? 

The Master’s program usually takes 2 years to complete.

The bachelor’s program also takes about 2 years to complete.

Each Graduate certificate takes 6-9 months. 

What are the admissions requirements?

This is available on the admissions page on the website at: http://www.eccu.edu/student-services/admission/

What is the total cost of the program?

You can find the total cost for our programs on the Tuition page of the ECCU website

Are payment plans available?

Yes, You can either pay the full tuition by the term deadline or you can pay the tuition in 3 monthly payments each term. 

What payment method does ECCU accept?

ECCU accepts payment by Credit card. We can also accept PayPal.

 Will I earn an EC-Council Certification by completing its corresponding class in the MSS program?

EC-Council certifications are professional certifications earned through completing the exam through EC-Council. Students will need to purchase an exam voucher in order to take the certification exam.  Although students of the MSS program do not automatically earn EC-Council Certifications by completing the corresponding class in the MSS program, the class should prepare the student to successfully pass the Certification exam. Even through the student are tutored to take, and pass, the certification exam, EC-Council University does not guarantee that all material on the certification exam will be covered in the corresponding MSS class, and recommends that the student reviews the certification exam material prior to taking the certification exam. 

Do I need a bachelor’s degree to earn a Graduate certificate or the master’s degree? 

Yes, you must have a bachelor’s degree to qualify for the Master of Security Science degree program or for the Graduate Certificate Programs.

I work full time will I have time for classes?

Most of our students work full time. They study in the evenings and on weekends. You should plan to spend 10 to 12 hours on coursework each week per class. Most students take either one or two classes each term depending on how much time they have available to devote to classes.

Do I have to be online at a specific time to attend classes?

No, You can login whenever you are able. You are not required to login at any particular time. Even proctored exams allow you flexibility.

Can I attend classes in person? 

No, ECCU is 100% online we do not have in person classes. 

What do I need to include with my admissions application?


  • A scan of your official government ID
  • University Transcripts for all degrees you have earned.
  • If you are not from the US, Proof that you meet the English requirement.
  • Your CV or Resume (optional)

Do you require the GRE? 

No, We do not require the GRE. 

How do I know if I will get transfer credit? 

You may receive up to 6 credits of transfer credit for your industry certifications in the masters program and up to 12 in the bachelor’s program.

You will need to complete the Prior Learning Portfolio so that we can determine what transfer credit you are eligible to receive.


We evaluate all transcripts for possible transfer credit.

MSS students may receive a maximum of 12 credits of transfer credit.

BSIS students may receive a maximum of 81 credits of transfer credit.

How do the Proctored Exams work? 

ECCU uses a proctor service called Remote Proctor Now.  When an exam is proctored there will be a $15 fee paid directly to Remote Proctor Now. You do not need to travel to a testing center for proctored exams. You will still take the exam on your computer. You are required to first login to the proctor site. Follow a few easy set up procedures. Pay the proctor fee. Then you continue to the test and take the test in Moodle. 

How do I know if my international degree is the equivalent to a US Bachelors degree?

If your degree is from outside of the US you must have it evaluated to determine if your degree is the equivalent to a US Bachelors degree.

A US bachelor’s degree usually takes 4 years to complete. That is 8 semesters with 5 or more classes each semester.

Methods are available to evaluate your degree:

All non-US transcripts must be evaluated by an evaluator who is a member of NACES. Students applying for admission need to have a course by course evaluation with GPA. Ask the evaluator to also include the language of instruction. Send the evaluated transcripts for all colleges and universities you have attended.

Students may choose any evaluator who is a member of NACES to complete the evaluation. Students can find a list of evaluators on the NACES website. http://www.naces.org/members.html

We recommend Educational Perspectives http://www.edperspective.org/.

  1.  Official evaluation results must be sent directly to:

    ATTN: Registrar
    EC-Council University
    101 C Sun Ave NE
    Albuquerque, NM 87109, USA

    All documents written and issued in a foreign language must have a certified English translation attached.

What is NACES?

NACES is a member organization. They have a list of all degree evaluators that you can choose from to have your bachelor’s degree evaluated.

The list is here: http://www.naces.org/members.html

You will need to pick one of the organizations on this list to evaluate your transcript. The price for the evaluation can vary. Many students use A2Z Evaluations: http://www.a2zeval.com/ , Educational Perspectives http://www.edperspective.org/, Or World Education Services: http://www.wes.org/. Some evaluators will keep your records on file and mail you new copies when you need them, others will not. The cost ranges from $100 to $200.

You need to order an evaluation that includes GPA calculation. If possible request that they include your language of instruction.

The results of the evaluation should be sent directly to ECCU:

ATTN: Registrar

EC-Council University

101 C Sun Ave NE

Albuquerque, NM 87109 

What do I need on my degree evaluation?

The evaluation needs to include the GPA, the US equivalency and if possible the language of instruction.

If you have a master’s degree from a non-US school and you are interested in transfer credit, then you will need to have a course-by-course evaluation done on your master’s transcript.

I have many years of experience and many industry certifications. Does that qualify as the equivalent to a bachelor’s degree?

No it does not. 

Do I need a VISA? 

No, Because ECCU is 100% online you do not need a Visa to attend. You can take classes from where you live. 

Do I need to take the TOEFL or the IELST to show I am proficient in English?

Possibly.  You do need to show that you meet the English requirement. There are three ways to do this.

  1. If your degree is earned in a country where English is the official Language then you do not need to provide additional proof. For example, if your degree was earned in the UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, or Nigeria.
  1. If English was the Language of Instruction at the University where you earned your bachelors degree then you can provide a letter from the institution stating that English was the language of instruction, and/or you can also request that the NACES evaluator state the language of instruction on the degree evaluation.

Here is a list of countries where Higher Education is commonly conducted in English:

Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana,
British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar,
Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Malta, Mauritius, Montserrat, Namibia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

  1. You can show English Proficiency by taking a recognized English proficiently test.
  1. Official TOEFL PBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Paper-Based Test) score of 550 or better;
  2. OR Official TOEFL IBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test) score of 71 or better for the Graduate program, score of 61 or better for the Bachelor’s program;
  3. OR Official IELTS (International English Language Test) score of 6.5 or better for the Graduate program, score of 6.0 or better for the Bachelor’s program.


I’m a little skeptical about online program, can you tell me what’s the benefit to do online program, is it equally effective as conventional learning?

Yes online classes are just as effective as in-person classes, in fact many people prefer taking classes online. The course materials and labs are the same as you would receive in an in person class.  People like to attend online because it allows them to …

The program is expensive.

This program is quite reasonably priced and much less than other US University’s.

-you do not pay the full degree cost up front.  You will pay for classes as you take them.

-Consider starting with one of the graduate certificates if the full price of the degree is too much right now.

– Also consider the monthly payment plan.

Can you please advice me which one should I go for certification or academic degree?

Both. You can take classes at ECCU and then test for certification.

Tell me more about your online classes?

You will attend classes in the online learning portal called MyECCU.


How is the exam being conducted?

Exams are online in the MyECCU learning portal. You will take your exams from your computer. Occasionally we will have exams that are proctored. (see section on Proctored exams)

How do I get graded in class?

Your instructor will grade all class work. The instructor will enter the grades in the MyECCU portal where you will be able to view your grades.

Do we have instructors as in a person to conduct the class? If yes, how they will be conducting the lecture?

You do have an instructor who conducts the classes. We do not use lectures to teach. The instructors use discussion topics, labs, readings, and some include videos.

I don’t have programming background; can I still go for this master’s degree?

Yes, the degrees are designed to be valuable for someone who has a computer background but to also be appropriate for someone with no IT background who is changing careers.

If I am coming to the US for graduation, can the university help me on applying my VISA?

We will provide a letter of invitation for the graduation ceremony, however, we do not provide visa assistance.

Can the course material be printed out by us?

No, You will have access to all materials online.