The need for cybersecurity is everywhere – When you go shopping or send emails to your boss, you find the threat of a cyberattack and at the same time the necessity of cybersecurity. Even though many students are graduating with degrees in cybersecurity every term, companies are still not able to find the competent persons to defend against attacks.
As the number of cyber-attacks are increasing every quarter, more and more are coming to the biggest question, “Why is cybersecurity important?” The simple answer would be “How secure are you?” The cost of cyber threats in 2014 amounted to $445 billion which reached $600 billion in the year 2017 and the number is even higher in 2018. This proliferation of cyber threats is causing huge damage to businesses, government institutes, and individuals. Cybersecurity Ventures reported an estimate that the cost of cyber-crime will rise to $6 trillion annually by 2021.  This figure does not include the rising risk of mobile device threats and medical device threats. In fact the cost of cyber threats on medical devices alone is expected to reach $65 billion by 2021. 
While there are so many opinions on the significance of cybersecurity, organizations have felt the need and hence are investing in cybersecurity. With rise in threats comes the requirement for security professionals, however the supply is far less than what it should be.
|One in four companies report that the time required to fill cybersecurity positions can be six months or longer. |
The openings in the cybersecurity industry are at different levels and for various positions like an analyst, administrator, programmers, response managers, and many more. They require a certain set of qualification, expertise, and skills, both technical and non-technical. If you have these sets of skills, then you become qualified for positions in the industry.
Skills You Need to Succeed in the Cybersecurity Industry
Essential Work Habits
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Innovation and collaboration skills
- Determined ability to work methodically
- Enthusiasts on the technical side to examine them in detail
- Keep updated knowledge of vulnerabilities from the internet
- Leadership abilities and adaptability
- Awareness of contemporary standards, practices, and procedures
Must-have Soft Skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to interact effectively with the management and the customers.
- Higher standards of sensible and sensitivity to listen and absorb.
- Ability to simplify, draft and explain the complex security concepts both, verbally and written.
General Technical Abilities
1. Administration and Networking:
To become a good cybersecurity professional, a good understanding of administration along with working of various operating systems is required. A cybersecurity professional must deal with various digital accessories and therefore the knowledge of different operating system is a must. Networking and architecture knowledge helps the cyber enthusiast penetrate confidently into the vulnerabilities that exist in the network or beyond. You must know the working of network routers, switches, types of firewalls, network architectures, designing security systems, and network load balancers.
2. Programming Languages:
3. General Software Concepts:
An understanding of general software development concepts, software analytical skills, and virtualization software are required technical skills to become a cybersecurity professional.
Other Relevant Skills:
- Holistic view: Having a holistic approach to information security that includes, threat specifications, analyzing, implementing, testing and vulnerability assessment.
- Security concepts: Expert knowledge of security concepts, principles, and best practices. Should have the ability to perform hardening of systems and network.
- Network issues: Ability to handle security-related issues associated with networking, operating systems, and virtualization software. Understanding the web application security concepts and practices, network architecture including verification of security tools and their use is required.
- Database: Knowledge of database architecture, database weaknesses and security standards in the database.
- Writing abilities: Ability to write tools that can automate security tasks. Effective writing skills to report and write vulnerability assessment and resilience strategy.
- Security assessment: Awareness of technical vulnerability assessments, penetration testing, social engineering assessments, wireless security assessments, web application assessments, physical security assessments, endpoint assessments, and implementing security policies.
- Maintaining integrity: Maintaining integrity of the whole incident management process and ability to coordinate the investigations for business-wide reputational damage. Understand the process of forensic investigation in different types of attacks.
What if you have the above skills?
The profession of cybersecurity is not just a job in the latest technical stream, but it is a profession of self-responsibility, self-esteem, and higher commitment values. If you have the above-mentioned skills and knowledge, you can easily make your place in this rewarding career. A degree in cybersecurity covers many of these topics and can give you wings to fly and prosper in the industry.
Where can you learn cybersecurity?
EC-Council University offers a Master of Science in Cyber Security and Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security degree programs. The BSCS helps students in gaining knowledge for cybersecurity careers and assessment with a core emphasis on the required skills in cybersecurity, leadership and organizational behavior. The MSCS program offers five specializations that you can choose from, as an option to pursue the career of their interest. Every specialization has a well-defined career path as they are derived from the NICE (National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education) framework. It is a 100% online course which encourages students to study at their convenience and at the same time stand responsible towards the completion of the course.