Cloud computing paradigm is growing in popularity. The term covers a range of distributed computing, hosting and access solutions, including service-based computing. A ‘good’ cloud computing solution provides hardware-as-a-service, infrastructure-as-a-service, platform-as-a-service, software and applications as-a-service, security-as-a-service, cloudlets and cluster computing as-a-service, high-performance computing as-a-service, and so on. In addition, a good solution allows service-based access and sharing/interchange of resources with other clouds. It also provisions (in self-service) both bare-machine computing ‘images’ and virtual machine based ‘images’. Furthermore, such an environment has extensive provenance, policy, privacy and security management capabilities.
Purpose of Class:
Students will learn how to construct and secure a private cloud computing environment solutions, and how to integrate it with external clouds, such as public EC2 offering, and other solutions. Performance, security, cost, usability and utility of cloud computing solutions will be studied both theoretically and as applied to a business project. Students are expected to learn and demonstrate practical elements of: Cloud Computing principles, Cloud Computing components, Cloud Computing architectures and implementations., Cloud Computing management and security.
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Apply knowledge of cloud computing and articulate a migration strategy from legacy open access technologies to cloud technology
- Analyze a problem, identify and define the cloud computing requirements appropriate to its solution
- Illustrate the advantages of applying cloud technology to computing applications, communications and information storage.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- Compare the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations and society
- Use current techniques, skills and tools necessary for cloud computing practice
Project Management in IT Security
The Hacker Mind: Profiling the IT Criminal